sunflower hospital Nagpur:- Dr Jay Deshmukh :-Michael Philips who won 28 medals in Olympics once admitted that he sat once in his bedroom for 5 days not wanting to live. He knew he needed help. After he took treatment and started talking about his feelings, he said life became easy. Now he understands that it’s OK not to be OK. Other celebrities who have admitted being severely depressed include Deepika Padukone, Meena Kumari and many others.
What is a major depressive disorder?
- This is known as clinical depression. More than 16 million adults have had at least one episode. To make diagnosis doctors look for at least five symptoms that affect how you feel, think and behave. This includes sadness, loss of interest in activities, sleeplessness, trouble making decisions, difficulty concentrating, sleepiness, suicidal thoughts or actions.
What is a bipolar disorder? Dr Jay Deshmukh
- Once called manic depression, it features emotional highs called mania and the lows of depression. This affects not only how you feel, but your behaviour and judgement too. This can cause problems with work, relationships, and day to day life. Suicidal thoughts and behaviours also are common with bipolar disorder.
What is psychotic depression?
- This is a severe type of depression. Its symptoms include hallucinations and delusions. You may be agitated and unable to relax. Your ability to think clearly or move normally may slow down.
What is postpartum depression?
- Symptoms occur a few weeks after the baby’s birth or even a year after. Mood swings, difficulty bonding with your baby, changes in thoughts and behaviour and fears about mothering are common.
What is a premenstrual dysphoric disorder?
- Many women complain about changes in mood and abdominal cramps a few days before menses. They may become irritable or gloomy. Lifestyle changes that is diet and exercises work. Some may require hormonal therapy or antidepressants.
What is the adjustment disorder?
- Any changes in life pattern may cause adjustment disorder. These are situational symptoms. Change of job, transfer to a different city or country for job or education, marriage with a new set of relations are a few reasons. They may cause anxiety and depression.
What are the features of atypical depression?
- Increased appetite and weight gain, excessive sleep, being especially sensitive to criticism and vague aches and pains.
What are some common but surprising symptoms of depression?
- If you do excessive shopping or compulsive buying. This serves as a self-esteem booster or serves as a distraction. Drinking heavily, forgetfulness, excessive internet use, binge eating and obesity, shoplifting, back pain, risky sexual behaviour, exaggerated emotions, problem gambling, excessive smoking, not taking care of yourself are a few symptoms of depression that are common but usually missed.
What are the myths about depression?
- sunflower hospital Nagpur:- Real world therapy has very little in common with fictional scenes on TV. Most common therapies focus on solving problems in the present and future. Taking treatment for depression does not mean that you are mad or mentally ill. It is not a sign of weakness. It is a sign of resourcefulness. Most of the therapies may last for a few months only. It is a myth that all require life long treatment. In fact, short term therapy works and the benefits go beyond relieving stress and anxiety. Short term therapy improves your relationship, brushes up on parenting skills, you sleep better, you manage your weight, you adopt healthy habits and become more effective in pursuing your goals.
What is cognitive behavioural therapy?
- This is the most studied form of therapy. sunflower hospital Nagpur This therapy teaches you to recognise and change self-defeating thoughts and behaviours. It is helpful for everyday issues like sleeping better and adopting healthy habits. It is especially effective in treating depression, anxiety and substance abuse. It may require a few sessions with the counsellor.
What causes depression?
- The WHO recognises that 5% of men and 9% of women experience depressive disorder in any given year. Depression can be linked to genetics. Depression is caused by an imbalance in the neurotransmitters which are involved in mood regulation. Hormonal risk factors play an important role in women as women suffer twice as men. Poor nutrition and physical health problems are common. Certain drugs like anticonvulsants, statins, stimulants, benzodiazepines, corticosteroids and beta blockers can make you feel depressed. Stressful life events, grief and loss are to be considered.
Depression needs to be diagnosed and treated early, to make life happy and meaningful again. Being depressed does not mean that you have become mad or insane. Please open up with your family or family doctor or a psychiatrist. Psychotherapy, few medications may help you to turn the tide in your favour. Always say yes to life and no to negativity. Cheers.
sunflower hospital Nagpur
Author: Dr Jay Deshmukh
M.B.B.S., M.C.P.S., F.C.P.S., M.N.A.M.S., MD
(Internal Medicine – Bombay and New Delhi)
Chief Physician and Director, Sunflower Hospital, Nagpur