sunflower hospital nagpursunflower hospital nagpur:- Heat exhaustion is a condition whose symptoms may include heavy sweating and rapid pulse rate. This results due to exposure to a very hot environment as in summer season. It is one of the three heat related syndromes, with heat cramps being the mildest and heat stroke being the most severe.
What are the causes of heat exhaustion ?
- sunflower hospital nagpur:- Exposure to high temperatures particularly when combined with high humidity and strenuous physical activity. Without prompt treatment, heat exhaustion can lead to heat stroke, a life threatening condition. Fortunately heat exhaustion is preventable.
What are the main features of heat exhaustion ?
- sunflower hospital nagpur:- The symptoms may develop suddenly or over time, especially with prolonged exercise. Cool , moist skin when in heat, heavy sweating, faintness, dizziness, fatigue, weak rapid pulse, low blood pressure on standing, muscle cramps, nausea and headache are few important symptoms.
What are the risk factors for heat exhaustion ?
- Certain factors can increase your sensitivity to heat, though anyone can develop heat exhaustion. Infants and children younger than 4 years and adults older than 65 years aware at greatest risk. The body’s ability to regulate its temperature is not fully developed in younger population. In older adults due to medications and illness heat regulation and adaptive functions are jeopardised.
What about certain medications increasing the risk of heat exhaustion ?
- Sunflower Hospital Nagpur :- Medications like beta blockers, diuretics, anti allergy medicines and anti psychotic medications decrease your ability to adapt to severe heat exposure. Some may cause mild dehydration.
What about obesity?
- Being overweight can reduce your body’s ability to regulate its temperature and can cause your body to retain more heat. Many obese people have diabetes and hypertension and this further increases their risk for heat exhaustion. Sudden temperature variations or in the early phase of heat wave many individuals have a greater tendency for heat exhaustion.
What are the complications of heat exhaustion ?
- Untreated heat exhaustion can lead to heat or sunstroke. This is a life threatening condition and requires urgent medical attention. Sunstroke can lead to permanent damage to your brain and other vital organs that can result in death. In sunstroke the body’s core temperature exceeds 104 degrees Fahrenheit or 40 degrees Celsius.
How to prevent heat exhaustion ?
- Sunflower Hospital Nagpur :- Number of precautions are necessary to prevent heat related diseases. When temperature climbs remember to wear loose fitting, lightweight clothing. Protect against sunburn by using a wide hat, sunglasses and use a broad spectrum sunscreen lotion. Apply it 2 hourly if you are sweating or swimming. Drink plenty of fluids. Remaining well hydrated will help your body sweat and maintain a normal body temperature. Never leave anyone alone in a parked car in sunlight. It takes several weeks to get adjusted to hot weather. Hence do not exercise outside in hot weather. Be cautious if you are at increased risk.With the onset of severe warm weather conditions, the risk of heat related diseases may be on the rise. Every possible precautions are required to avoid this preventable illness. Simple precautions can avoid this risk of heat exhaustion. Travel only if it is a must. Older people should remain indoors during noon hours as far as possible.
Author: Dr Jay Deshmukh
Dr Jay Deshmukh is Chief Physician and Director, Sunflower Hospital, Nagpur Honorary Physician to Honorable Governor of Maharashtra and PondicherryCentral. Dr Jay Deshmukh is an M.B.B.S., M.C.P.S., F.C.P.S., M.N.A.M.S., MD From Internal Medicine – Bombay and New Delhi.