The first cell was first commercially available in 1983. It was first demonstrated by the Motorola group in 1973. Since then there have been tremendous changes in the cell phones and the cell phone is considered as one of the most essential possessions of humans health on this planet. This however has come with a price.
- Are cell phones dangerous ? The modern cell phones are an engineering marvel. They can do banking, internet applications, photography, weather forecasts and messaging and can provide with the latest news. However they are a craze with the younger people when it comes to photography and selfies. Many lives are lost when selfies have been taken near river banks or on rocks in the midst of floods.
- What about cell phones and accidents ? The regulations do not allow using these devices during driving. Many accidents take place when this rule is not followed. Car crashes, two wheeler accidents have almost become a routine in this era of selfies and arial communications. Parents and Teachers should warn their children to follow these rules meticulously. There should be hefty fines and punishments for these mistakes. The person talking on cell phones even puts the individuals on road at a great risk in case he is driving.
- Can cell phones have radiation ? Scientists world over have expressed their anxiety and concern over this issue. Some cases of brain tumours have been observed in certain individuals who had been using cell phones constantly.
- Can cell phones cause diabetes ? Diabetes, hypertension and thus cardiovascular and cerbrovascular illness have become a life style disease. People who are constantly on cell phones walk less, are more sedentary and thus can become overweight. Those who are all the time on cell phones are also stress prone and have a higher incidence of hypertension, obesity and high cholesterol levels. Thus you can have an increased incidence of diabetes and hypertension if you are on cell phone all the time.
- What about cell phones and mental illness ? Some individuals are known to be addicted to cell phones. With this addictive potential these people are at a great risk of having anxiety disorders and depression and insomnia. Many people have stopped talking to each other. This has been replaced by messaging at all times. Messaging for all 24 hours has become a routine. This has lost the basis of interpersonal relationships leading to more confusion, conflicts and misunderstandings. These all have increased the incidence of psychological problems.
- What about cell phones and family life ? Quick communication means quick answers to problems. In reality this is not always possible. This leads to greater expectations which cannot be fulfilled at all times. People tend to talk less with family members and more with friends of the opposite gender. This is creating a great social problem and thus increasing the criminal activities.
- What about cell phones and exercises ? Exercises with cell exercise apps are no longer an enjoyable experience. With tracking of calories spent, heart rate variations and other data that the apps generate, it is increasing the stress levels even during and after exercises if certain goals are not met.
- What about cell phones and children ? Children in school and young adults in colleges should avoid cell phones as much as possible. If at all they should be strictly used for important communications only. Children and very young adults are exposed to films, photos and some other materials which are generally meant only for adults. Parents and teachers need to counsel youngsters on this aspect.
- What about cell phones and memory ? Using cell phones at all times for communication means not using the pen or pencil . Writing letters or sending hand written greetings on birthdays and anniversaries have become a thing of the past. This has led to decreased writing and thus effectively reducing the recall memory.This has also reduced the creativity of our minds to think something new or becoming innovative.
- What is the remedy for this modern tool of self destruction ? Use mobile phones only when utmost necessary . It is an important device meant only for important communication. Do not use it as a source of entertainment. Young adults and children are known to get addicted to this device. This dependability can seriously affect interpersonal relations and can trigger psychological problems. Teachers and parents have a great role to prevent this addiction in youngsters.
Author: Dr Jay Deshmukh
M.B.B.S., M.C.P.S., F.C.P.S., M.N.A.M.S., MD
(Internal Medicine – Bombay and New Delhi)
Chief Physician and Director, Sunflower Hospital, Nagpur