When should body ache be considered as serious or needing more evaluation?
- If body aches last for more than 3 days, or associated with joint swelling, or associated with weight loss or prolonged fever, it certainly requires attention in detail. Limitation in walking or body aches on prolonged standing, associated anemia, chronic cough or skin rash should raise the red flag.
Can stress cause body aches?
- sunflower hospital Nagpur:- Many stressful situations cause or aggravate body aches. Tension headache or migraine can be an associated feature. Lack of sleep, negative ideas and thoughts are commonly associated with stress disorders. Meditation, exercises, good conversation with family members and friends, reading, writing and reinventing your hobbies would help.
Can hormone imbalances be responsible for body aches?
- Uncontrolled blood glucose in diabetics, low thyroid hormone levels in hypothyroidism or excess levels in hyperthyroidism can be responsible for body aches. Women in the menopausal phase can have body aches.
Can the deficiency of vitamins and minerals cause body aches?
- sunflower hospital Nagpur:- Deficiency of calcium and vitamin D is common in the general population. Deficiency of Vitamin B 12 can also be responsible for symptoms of body aches. Low haemoglobin due to dietary deficiencies, sickle cell disease, poor absorption of nutrients due to chronic diarrhoea can cause body aches.
What about infections and body aches?
- Dengue fever, malaria, typhoid, tuberculosis, swine flu, Scrub typhus fever, viral hepatitis can all be associated with body aches. In fact, it becomes very challenging for your doctor to find out the cause of body aches in many cases.
Can arthritis be associated with body aches?
- Many patients with a body ache present with arthritis. This may be rheumatoid arthritis or Lupus, particularly in young women. Fibromyalgia, myopathy or muscle dystrophy or myosotis can be associated with severe body aches.
How to diagnose and treat body aches?
- sunflower hospital Nagpur:- After knowing the symptoms from you, your doctor will see your pulse rate, blood pressure, blood glucose and perhaps evaluate you for thyroid disorders. He will check your blood for red and white blood cells and platelets. Vitamin B 12 and D levels would also be evaluated. In certain cases, liver and kidney functions would also be evaluated. If all tests come negative, a psychological assessment may be required.
How to know that body aches are serious in nature?
- sunflower hospital Nagpur:- Body aches associated with prolonged fever, weight loss, anemia, poor appetite, blood loss in urine, stools or excessive menstrual blood loss or vomiting or diarrhoea and sleep deprivation should cause worry. Body aches with jaundice, swelling over feet and face should draw attention in details.
Author: Dr Jay Deshmukh
Dr Jay Deshmukh is Chief Physician and Director, Sunflower Hospital, Nagpur Honorary Physician to Honorable Governor of Maharashtra and PondicherryCentral. Dr Jay Deshmukh is an M.B.B.S., M.C.P.S., F.C.P.S., M.N.A.M.S., MD From Internal Medicine – Bombay and New Delhi.