sunflower hospital Nagpur:- weight loss Like many diet trends, intermittent fasting has caught the imagination of many health experts. Not only losing weight has been important, but recent data published in the Journal of Cell Metabolism showed that intermittent fasting may decrease risk factors for diseases such as diabetes, cardiovascular disease and cancer.
Is intermittent fasting as good as it sounds?
- According to metabolic expert Dr Wexler from Harvard Medical Centre, there is evidence to suggest that the circadian rhythm fasting approach, where the meals are restricted to an 8 to 10 hour period of the day time is effective. sunflower hospital Nagpur She recommends that people should choose an eating pattern that works for them and is sustainable for them.
Can intermittent fasting help weight loss?
- By having large gaps in between our meals we allow our insulin levels to be low in between meals as snacking in between meals is not allowed. This allows the stored fat to be released and broken down for energy purposes in between meals. The entire idea of intermittent fasting is to allow the insulin levels to go down far enough and long enough that we burn off our fat.
What are the basic principles to be followed during intermittent fasting?
- Avoid sugars and refined grains Instead eat fruits, vegetables, beans, lentils, whole grains, lean proteins and healthy fats. Let your body burn fats in between meals. Don’t snack, be active throughout your day. Build muscle tone. Eat between 7 am to 3 pm or even 10 am to 6 pm, but definitely not in the evening before going to bed. Avoid snacking or eating at night time at all.
Does intermittent fasting help for prediabetics?
- Having pre-diabetes puts you at the risk of diabetes. Prediabetes is a condition where the blood sugar is higher than normal but low than diabetes range. It happens as your body develops insulin resistance and is less able to regulate blood sugar levels properly. sunflower hospital Nagpur Every year about 5 to 10 % of people with prediabetes develop diabetes. Intermittent fasting does help to prevent diabetes.
What does the current research say?
- The information is positive and encouraging. 12 weeks of 8-hour time-restricted feeding resulted in a 2.6% decrease in body weight and a 7 point decline in blood pressure when compared to controls.
What is the Leangains protocol?
- The Leangains method also known as 16.8 fasting diet is effective at losing weight and lowering blood pressure. Eat all your calories in an 8-hour window and fast the other 16 hours of the day. During fasting, you can have zero calorie beverages. Have high proteins and calories on your exercise days and fewer calories on off days.
What are the limitations of the intermittent fasting diet?
- You may possibly avoid this pattern of intermittent fasting if you are diabetic, or are pregnant or nursing your child. However please consult your Physician before you go in for intermittent fasting diet. It may at times increase your cravings for carbohydrates. This may defeat the very purpose of intermittent fasting.
What are the obvious advantages of intermittent fasting?
- These include weight loss, reduced inflammation, improved digestion, reduced bloating, increased mental clarity, better sleep and getting a handle for sugar cravings.
How to handle mild diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol and obesity in terms of intermittent fasting?
- These are lifestyle disorders. Diet control and exercises like brisk walking for 30 minutes are expected. Intermittent fasting can help most of these conditions. Intermittent fasting is known to reduce the inflammatory response of our body with reduced cytokines and insulin release during the fasting phase and helps us to combat these lifestyle changes.
Can intermittent diet make us medicine free for hypertension or diabetes?
- Though this is not possible, intermittent fasting can reduce your doses and help you to reduce weight and give a sense of well being.
sunflower hospital Nagpur There are many methods of intermittent fasting. Each individual can have his own. The key is dinner before 7 pm and an 8-hour meal free interval during day time. This coupled with regular exercise and weight training can certainly be a big boost to your positive health. Remember intermittent fasting comes free of cost.
Author: Dr Jay Deshmukh
M.B.B.S., M.C.P.S., F.C.P.S., M.N.A.M.S., MD
(Internal Medicine – Bombay and New Delhi)
Chief Physician and Director, Sunflower Hospital, Nagpur